Friday, September 28, 2007

A Supposed Dog Trainer

Ok, so I'll write something. I'm currently laid up from running, only getting in about 20-25 miles per week if I'm lucky. It all started with the darn hip injury which has lasted about 3 months now, and then continued with a foot injury which has lasted about 2 weeks, give or take. I have my ups and downs about it, but when it really boils down to it, I'd rather be a runner and always getting hurt than out of shape and always getting hurt. That's my choice. We all make our choices, and I think we are all eventually gonna get hurt doing this or that, and I choose to get hurt running. How lame is that?

So this year is a totally different turn of my life. My youngest kiddo has started kindergarten, leaving me free during the day to do things like clean the oven, or hopefully at some point in the future, train really hard. Of course another option is that I can potentially train harder than I ever have, and of course potentially get hurt again, but as I've already stated I don't care. Before I was a runner, I once hurt my hip just jumping across a ditch. This kind of stuff happens.

At first, I found myself kind of wandering around wondering what to do - but it wasn't long before I found myself doing things like cleaning out the oven, quilting, and believe it or not - puppy training. Now I will freely admit that I can train the fun stuff like sit, come, stay, etc., but when it comes to potty training, I am clueless. I try to do it by the book, take her out at certain times, crate her at certain times, blah blah blah, but I am just not being successful in this endeavour. Granted, it is not that big of a deal, but for some reason excrement really makes me anxious.

For the most part, I have her figured out, how long she can hold it etc., but there have been one or two times that I have taken her out at the expected time to pee, and found myself in the yard a frustrating hour later waiting.... drumming my fingers... sighing... rolling my eyes... yelling... as the pup just tipped her head to one side at me as if to say - "Are you OK, you look really upset?"

The reason this is particularly frustrating to me is that I know she is the smartest dog in the world. She knows come, stay, sit, down, stand, and is working on spin. If she can have this much learned in 2 short weeks, why does she not know, "do it." WHY? The only plausible reason is that I am not as smart as she is. There absolutely has to be something I don't know or haven't figured out, or something that she knows that I don't. There can be no other logical explanation.

Along these lines, I am sure that my children are geniuses. I cannot fathom how or why this happened, as they surely did not get their genes from me. My 3rd grade daughter can read so fast, I have to tell her to slow down so I can understand what she is saying and my kindergarten son is practically ready for Algebra. Again - my dog, my son, and my daughter are smarter than I am. I'm 30.

Bottom line, I want to be running good again, I am getting to the point that I am longing for a long run, a good medium effort 14 miler would do me a world of good. Maybe I'd feel smarter after depriving my brain cells of oxygen for an hour and a half. Yeah, that's what I need.

1 comment:

Boogle said...

I told you, she just isn't ready to potty train. We've argued about this as long as we've both potty trained children. When she can hold it, she will. When she's tired of being good, she'll mess up. It's just like making your bed every day or keeping the laundry caught up.
As far as the genius kids go, I don't know what to say. Sounds scarry.

E