Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Circle

There is a circle that exists in running and it happens thus: You train hard, you start to get grouchy and negative and tired, you get injured, that makes you mad, then you accept it and move through it. Then you heal, and you can run again which is exciting and fun and you just want to be out running all the time, so you do. Then you start to get tired and grouchy, and then you.....

I am in the exciting phase right now - I am not hurting any more and running finally feels good again. My legs feel strong, my air is coming easily and I am enjoying every minute of moving my legs. To be fair and honest, I have healed faster and more completely than the last time I got hurt. I am not sure if that is because I was more relaxed about it, or didn't hurt myself as badly this time, or what? You tell me. Regardless, I am thankful. Here is where I turn all mushy and junk. I think this is what injury is for. It's a time to take a break and bring you back to a more thankful frame of mind, quit taking advantage of what you have. Sit up and appreciate what you have been given. Give thanks to your Creator for making your amazing body in such a way that it can heal itself. Be thankful for the knowledge available to you on nutrition, massage, rest, fuel, all of the things that keep us on the roads. In my own journey, when I lose sight of these things, I will become negative and unappreciative, and this leads to my injuries. I will not lie, I have made bad choices that have no doubt contributed to being hurt, but the rest of what I have written is truth. We have these gifts, whether we notice them or not. Our humanity is really His Miracle, there for us all to see.

Anyone who knows me also knows that I am not going to be all rainbows and butterflies all the time because that's just not real life. Stuff happens, we get down, and we don't want to get back up again. Today, however, I see the bright side of life, and I am thankful for that perspective.

p.s., someone should take away running because it's obviously done damage to my brain. Perhaps permanent damage.

No comments: