Tuesday, November 6, 2007

A Tuesday Run

2 posts in one day, who knew?

So it's been a long injury. It's so hard to even feel fit or like I'm a runner when I'm hurt. I was hurt in July, somewhere in my hip flexor and opted to take the more natural rout of healing, steering away from doctors, x-rays, MRI's and the like. Truth be told, it has healed much sooner than the last time this happened, but it has also lead me on a journey of trying to figure out how to keep it from happening again. I'm not happy when I'm not running, ask anyone who even slightly knows me. I just need that time outside to get my heart rate up or I basically just go into hibernation. I will take this time to apologize to everyone who I have not socialized during my injury and I'm aware of how selfish it is.

Anyway, today I had a 40:00 run with 6X3:00 hard/2:00 easy to do. I felt really strong, and my garmin said they were around 6:50-7:00 pace, which is good, it signals sort of a come around. No, it's not what I had been running in the spring, but that would just be a miracle, so I'll take what I can get. I ran at about 11:30, so I was trying to figure out how to avoid traffic, so I opted to park at Fred's and run an out and back down 1st street. This worked really well with no turns, and it being really straight and not very hilly. It was a little windy on the way back, and I did get a bit slower average for those repeats, but I expected that.

I am hoping to be in fairly decent shape by December and run a 5K to judge where I am. After that I plan to run the 3M Half Marathon in Austin, TX, and I am hoping for a hefty PR. All of this is assuming things go as planned, of course, but it's good to think positive. It's nice to have the heaviness of injury lifted from my thoughts. I like to run fast and push myself to my limits. Any of us who run at all are going to have an injury regardless of what we ask of our bodies.

No comments: